There are a lot of health benefits to having regular, good quality sleep. While you're asleep your body is hard at work healing itself and optimising different processes. When you sleep your body:
The result: better physical and mental health when you wake up in the morning.
Here are five benefits you’ll experience when you have regular, good quality sleep:
1. Healthy sleep improves your memory and focus - You’re better able to focus and learn. When you have had a good night’s sleep, it’s easier to keep your attention on something long enough to learn it and remember it. It sharpens your mind so that you can think clearly. Sleep helps you excel at school and work. Without healthy sleep you are more likely to be forgetful and make mistakes.
2. Healthy sleep is essential for your mental health - You feel happier. When you’re sleep-deprived your emotions are harder to control, you feel more stressed and you find it tougher to cope with upsetting things.
3. Healthy sleep promotes productivity and safety - You are more productive. At work you’ll notice that you get through tasks faster and make fewer mistakes. It keeps you alert and helps you to react quickly. Without healthy sleep you are more likely to have an accident at work or while driving.
4. Healthy sleep improves your metabolism - You’re less hungry. Sleeping helps regulate two important hormones: ghrelin, which makes you feel hungry, and leptin, which makes you feel full. If you don’t get enough sleep, those hormones don’t act correctly and you feel hungrier. This is one of the reasons why people who are sleep-deprived are more likely to struggle with their weight.
5. Healthy sleep is vital for your physical health - You won’t get sick as often. Your immune system needs sleep to stay strong and fight off colds and other infections. In the long-term, getting plenty of sleep helps reduce your risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes and other chronic diseases.