Duvet sizes & mattress sizes
Not sure what size bedding you need? Read our guide to duvet sizes, duvet cover sizes, bed sizes and mattress sizes. We cover UK, US and European bedding sizes measured in both centimetres and inches.
Plus, answers to all your duvet size and bedding size questions:
- UK duvet sizes and mattress sizes
- What size is a King size duvet?
- Should your duvet be bigger than your bed?
- Duvet cover sizes UK
- How to measure a bed
- US v UK bedding sizes
- European v UK bedding sizes
- UK v US v European mattress size guide
- Bedding size faqs
UK DUVET SIZES AND MATTRESS SIZES
Standard UK duvet sizes and mattress sizes are Single, Double, King and Super King.
Mattresses vary in depth from 6cm to over 30cm and sometimes it's not very clear what the depth is in the maker's specifications. Here at scooms we've made our bed sheets deep fitting - 40cm / 15.7" - to make sure that they will fit almost every mattress and most importantly so that they are easy to put onto the bed!
|DUVET SIZE UK
|MATTRESS SIZE UK
|SINGLE SIZE DUVET
|135 x 200cm (53 x 79in)
|90 x 190cm
|DOUBLE SIZE DUVET
|200 x 200cm (79 x 79in)
|135 x 190cm
|KING SIZE DUVET
|225 x 220cm (89 x 87in)
|150 x 200cm
|SUPER KING SIZE DUVET
|260 x 220cm (102 x 87in)
|180 x 200cm
WHAT IS A KING SIZE DUVET?
The King size duvet is fast becoming the most popular duvet size in the UK, so it's important to know your King size duvet dimensions. A King size duvet measures 225 x 220 cm or 7ft 4" x 7ft 3". As the width of a King size duvet is slightly more than its length, when you are putting on your King size duvet cover duvet cover double check that you have the duvet the right way round!
We make 5 different weights of king size duvets:
- 2.5 tog king size duvet
- 4.5 tog king size duvet
- 7 tog king size duvet
- 9 tog king size duvet
- 11.5 tog king size duvet
- 13.5 tog king size duvet
SHOULD YOUR DUVET BE BIGGER THAN YOUR BED?
You may want to choose a duvet that is one size larger than your actual bed size if:
- You share a bed or just like more duvet to drape over you - you don't want your other half to roll over and take all the duvet!
- You like the way it looks - a larger size duvet can look more attractive as it hangs pleasingly over the edge of the bed.
- You are particularly tall - if your feet reach the end of your bed choose a duvet that is 30 cm longer than you are. You don’t want your toes or shoulders getting chilly during the night!
DUVET COVER SIZES
Duvet covers are made to fit the same size duvet, so trust the duvet cover size on the packaging! You should always buy a duvet and duvet cover that is the same size. Even though they may be described in exactly the same measurements there is no need to 'go large'! You'll just end up with lots of extra duvet cover material and a duvet that moves around. Not very cosy!
Duvet cover sizes in the UK and Europe are typically measured in centimetres, whilst they are measured in inches in the US.
HOW TO MEASURE A BED
Bed sizes vary around the world, with different countries using their own size standards and terminology. So If your bed or mattress wasn't made for the UK market, make sure you measure before buying new bedding. The likelihood is that if you buy King size fitted sheets in one country, they won't be quite the right size in another country which could be rather frustrating!
Measure your bed:
- First, take off all the bedding so that you can measure the bed exactly from the edges.
- Use a retractable measuring tape which you can lock into place. If it proves tricky, get a friend to help.
- Don’t forget to have your phone or a pen and paper handy so you can record the measurements.
- To measure the width: Place the end of the measuring tape at the left side of the bed, then extend tape out until it reaches the right edge of the bed.
- To measure the length: Place the end of the tape at the middle top of the bed, then pull out the tape to the middle bottom of the bed.
US v UK BEDDING SIZES
The standard sizes for American beds and the approximate UK equivalents are King (UK Super King), Queen (UK King), Full (UK Double) and Twin (UK Single). Single bed and Double bed are understood and used in the US, but they are not exact bed sizes there.
Alternative names for duvets in the US are comforters, quilts and duvet inserts.
EUROPEAN v UK BEDDING SIZES
European bed and mattress sizes are often called Euro sizes. The main sizes are Single, Double and King. Each size is a little larger than the UK equivalent. They are sold by European manufacturers like Ikea.
US v EUROPEAN v UK MATTRESS SIZE GUIDE:
BEDDING SIZE FAQS
We get asked lots of questions about bedding sizes and so we have included some below. if we haven't answered your question, do email us us or call us on 020 7164 6045.
- What size of duvet do I need for a single bed? A single duvet measures 135 x 200cm.
- What size duvet for a double bed? A double duvet is 200 x 200cm.
- What size duvet for a king bed? A king size duvet is 225/230 x 220cm.
- What size duvet for a super king bed? A super king duvet is 260 x 220cm.
- What are a queen size bed and duvet dimensions? A US queen size mattress measures 60 x 80" but a queen size duvet measurements vary depending on the brand. A typical queen size duvet is 88 - 90" width x 90 - 98" length.
- Is a twin duvet the same as a double duvet? No, a twin duvet is a US duvet size and varies by manufacturer. It is typically 66 - 68" width x 86 - 88" length. A double duvet is a UK duvet size and is 200 x 200cm.
- What size is a king size bed width? A UK king size bed typically measures 150cm width.
- Can you use a king size duvet on a double bed? Yes, if you prefer a larger size duvet then you can use a bigger size than your bed. All scooms duvets and duvet covers are made to give you just the right amount of drape however.