How to use your scooms wool dryer balls
- We recommend using 4 wool dryer balls for every drying load.
- Just add them to your tumble dryer with your wet washing.
- Great for keeping your scooms bed linen, pillows and duvets fluffy and airy when you dry them!
- Wool dryer balls need space to work best so they will be most efficient in medium to small-sized washing loads.
- After use, leave your dryer balls in your dryer ready for the next load!
How wool dryer balls work
You may have noticed that wet laundry tends to clump together in the tumble dryer. This slows down the drying process and increases the drying time. Wool dryer balls separate laundry in the dryer so that hot air can circulate more evenly and efficiently.
Adding 4 wool dryer balls to your tumble dryer load will separate your laundry creating air gaps. This will allow more air to circulate around your laundry helping the dryer to heat your laundry more quickly and suck the evaporated water out of the dryer more efficiently.
Wool dryer balls agitate against the fibres in your bed linen and clothing so your washing will also feel softer coming out of the dryer.
And they are much quieter than using plastic dryer balls or tennis balls!
Saving energy & money!
In our wool dryer ball tests using small, medium and large washing loads, drying times were reduced by 11% to 27%. We achieved the most reduced drying times with medium to small-sized loads.
Savings for a household that regularly uses a tumble dryer:
- Per year - you can save approximately £41 of electricity and reduce your carbon footprint by 89kg.
- Over the lifetime of the dryer balls (1,000 cycles) - you can save around £157 and 343kg of CO2.
Not bad for 4 wool balls! And when you have finished with them, they make great nesting material for birds!
We calculated this based on:
- Typical tumble dryer using 2.50 kWh per hour.
- Average drying time of 1.8 hours.
- Cost per KWh of 13p.
- 5 uses per week of a tumble dryer.
- 0.283 kg of CO2 per kWh of electricity (https://bulb.co.uk/carbon-tracker/)
Scented wool dryer balls
Dryer sheets are typically saturated with chemicals and perfumes, but if you want to add your favourite smell like lavender to your drying laundry you can add a couple of drops of essential oil to your wool dryer balls.
- AFTER your laundry has dried, add wool dryer balls that have been 'soaked' for 20 minutes with 2 to 6 drops of essential oil. Run the load again on a non-heat setting for 10-20 minutes.
- WARNING, only use essential oil 'soaked' wool dryer balls on a non heated tumble dry setting. Heating essential oils to a high temperature in a tumble dryer is a fire risk.
- We suggest you keep one set of wool dryer balls without essential oils and one set with essential oils.
Thank you so much for the wonderful service. When I emailed you I received a prompt reply. The dryer balls arrived very quickly and having used them they are so good. Excellent service and would thoroughly recommend Scoom as a company
Thought I’d try these just for fun but they’re great. I definitely think my clothes comes out less creased and it does seem to cut down on drying time. They are a bit noisy but my tumble dryer is in the garage so I don’t mind.
I have used other dryer balls but these have proved to be the best. They really do soften my washing much better than others, maybe its because they are wool. I don't really know if they help dry the washing quicker as I have never timed my dryer.
Does the job much better than anything used before
Great woollen balls, reduce drier time by 10% or more and cottons feel softer.
Seem to be very good.
Nice large size. Seem to work as my clothes dry much faster and are soft.
I’ve used these a few time now and I’m not sure if they do what they say or not.
I have no negatives to say but I’m not sure if they actually do anything.
The washing comes out soft, and we think the drying time is shorter.
The wool dryer balls are great. They do make the tumble drying period shorter and the washed items have a lovely feel to them when dried. I’m most really impressed with them and enjoying the results