HOW TO USE YOUR SCOOMS WOOL DRYER BALLS
- We recommend using 4 natural wool tumble dryer balls for every drying load.
- Just add them to your tumble dryer with your wet washing.
- Great for keeping your scooms bed linen, towels, pillows and duvets fluffy and airy when you dry them!
- Wool dryer balls need space to work best so they will be most efficient in medium to small-sized washing loads.
- After use, leave your dryer balls in your dryer ready for the next load!
HOW WOOL DRYER BALLS WORK
You may have noticed that wet laundry tends to clump together in the tumble dryer. This slows down the drying process and increases the drying time. Tumble dryer wool balls separate laundry in the dryer so that hot air can circulate more evenly and efficiently.
Adding 4 dryer balls to your tumble dryer load will separate your laundry creating air gaps. This will allow more air to circulate around your laundry helping the dryer to heat your laundry more quickly and suck the evaporated water out of the dryer more efficiently.
Tumble dryer balls agitate against the fibres in your bed linen and clothing so your washing will also feel softer coming out of the dryer.
SAVING ENERGY & MONEY!
For our wool dryer balls UK tests, we used small, medium and large washing loads, and found that drying times were reduced by 11% to 27%. We achieved the most reduced drying times with medium to small-sized loads.
The cost of electricity is expensive. The current electricity price cap is 28.62p (1 January to 31 March 2024).
Over a year, a household that regularly uses a tumble dryer can save approximately £90 of electricity, also reducing your carbon footprint by 89kg.
Not bad for 4 wool balls! And when you have finished with your tumble drying balls, they will make great nesting material for the birds!
We calculated this based on:
- Typical tumble dryer using 2.50 kWh per hour.
- Average drying time of 1.8 hours.
- Cost per KWh of 28.62p.
- 5 uses per week of a tumble dryer. Over 52 weeks a year.
- 0.283 kg of CO2 per kWh of electricity.
SCENTED WOOL DRYER BALLS
Dryer sheets are typically saturated with chemicals and perfumes, but if you want to add your favourite smell like lavender to your drying laundry you can add a couple of drops of essential oil to your wool dryer balls.
- AFTER your laundry has dried, add wool dryer balls that have been 'soaked' for 20 minutes with 2 to 6 drops of essential oil. Run the load again on a non-heat setting for 10-20 minutes.
- WARNING, only use essential oil 'soaked' wool dryer balls on a non heated tumble dry setting. Heating essential oils to a high temperature in a tumble dryer is a fire risk.
- We suggest you keep one set of wool dryer balls without essential oils and one set with essential oils.
WOOL v PLASTIC DRYER BALLS
We prefer wool dryer balls for our laundry drying:
- Using wool balls for the tumble dryer will definitely be much quieter than using plastic dryer balls or tennis balls!
- Plastic dryer balls are not as environmentally friendly and can shed micro plastics.
- Wool dryer balls are more durable than plastic balls.
CAN I USE TENNIS BALLS INSTEAD OF WOOL TUMBLE DRYER BALLS?
On a technical level tennis balls work to an extent as they create the air gaps in your laundry which aids drying. However they don't have the softening effects that natural wool has. Tennis balls can also contain plastics and other chemicals which can leach into your laundry or form micro plastics.
HOW LONG DO WOOL TUMBLE DRYER BALLS LAST?
A very long time! We have been using our scooms dryer balls for over two years and they look almost as new.
The wool drier balls are quieter and more gentle on clothes than our previous plastic ones. We slso add essential oils to them to scent the clothes.
Just amazing time and money saving balls. A must have.
Recently bought an LG heat pump tumble dryer so can’t really give much of a review. However the balls are very nicely presented and delivery was speedy. I am sure they will assist in the drying process.
Can’t fault the product choice, customer service or delivery. All great! Bought these to use in a laundrette tumble dryer, and not sure if I’m using them correctly… haven’t noticed any difference to the drying quicker or preventing sheets getting tangled, but will keep using!
These four wool balls have transformed the drying performance of our old tumble dryer
I have a washer/dryer which doesn’t dry as efficiently as a dryer on its own would. Items were very creased and often not dry. I’ve been using the Wool Tumble Dryer Balls for several weeks now and I have definitely noticed an improvement! Great product!
Brilliant product. Easy to order. Quick delivery. Highly recommended. They do what they say on the tin
Thank you so much for the wonderful service. When I emailed you I received a prompt reply. The dryer balls arrived very quickly and having used them they are so good. Excellent service and would thoroughly recommend Scoom as a company
Thought I’d try these just for fun but they’re great. I definitely think my clothes comes out less creased and it does seem to cut down on drying time. They are a bit noisy but my tumble dryer is in the garage so I don’t mind.
I have used other dryer balls but these have proved to be the best. They really do soften my washing much better than others, maybe its because they are wool. I don't really know if they help dry the washing quicker as I have never timed my dryer.