Our comprehensive guide explains all you need to know about down fill power and down fill weight and why fill power and fill weight are important facts to understand when choosing which duvet to buy.
What you need to know about down fill power and down fill weight:
- What is down fill power?
- What is down fill weight?
- scooms duvets fill power
- scooms duvets fill weight
- scooms down cluster
- Fill power facts & myths
1. What is down fill power?
Down fill power is a way of measuring the quality and effectiveness of down and feather. The fluffier the down is, the greater the number of air chambers and therefore, the more effective it is at insulating. So, a higher fill power means a duvet will be lighter and more insulating. It will also recover its fullness more easily when shaken in the morning and is proven to be more durable, so it will last longer.
2. What is down fill weight?
Don't confuse fill weight with fill power! Fill weight is the actual weight of the duvet filling. The higher the fill weight, the heavier the duvet. However, a heavy duvet does not equal a warmer duvet.
Fill weight determines how soft or firm a duvet is but, fill power measures the effectiveness and quality of the down or feather duvet filling. So, a duvet with high fill weight and low fill power will be heavy but provide poor insulation.
(If you see weight referenced with ‘gsm’ this means the weight of the filling within a square metre.)
3. scooms duvets fill power
scooms Hungarian goose down duvets have high 700 fill power. Technically called 700 CUIN fill power. This is the highest fill power you can get for down that is a by-product of the food industry.
4. scooms duvets fill weight
These are the fill weights for the different tog rated scooms duvets:
* Single: 9 tog - 486g, 4.5 tog - 302g, All season - 788g
* Double: 9 tog - 720g, 4.5 tog - 448g, All season - 1168g
* King: 9 tog - 911g, 4.5 tog - 567g, All season - 1478g
* Super King: 9 tog - 1030g, 4.5 tog - 641g, All season - 1671g
If you're not sure what a tog rating is, then find out more in our Tog rating guide.
5. scooms down cluster
This is a close up view of a scooms Hungarian down cluster. The extra fine filaments trap more air giving our duvets a high fill power. This leads to a warmer and more breathable 'cloud like' duvet.
6. Fill power facts & myths
True fill power facts:
- The higher the fill power, the larger the clusters of down.
- The larger the cluster of down, the higher the quality.
- The higher the quality, the more durable the loft and fluffiness.
- The larger the cluster of down, the more air it traps.
- The larger the cluster of down, the higher the loft.
- The larger the cluster of down, the better the insulating properties.
- The larger the cluster of down, the lighter weight the duvet.
Untrue fill power myths:
- The higher the fill power, the firmer the duvet.
- The higher the fill power, the heavier the duvet.
- The higher the fill power, the higher the fill weight.