How to wash and care for your mattress protector
Ensure your mattress remains as good as new with a good quality pure cotton mattress protector that's easy to wash, dry and care for.
Our 100% Cotton mattress protectors are designed to be washed at home in your washing machine. Just follow the instructions on the care label. We recommend washing your mattress protector before use and once every one to four weeks thereafter.
HOW TO WASH YOUR COTTON MATTRESS PROTECTOR
To keep your scooms cotton mattress protector in tip top condition follow these washing guidelines:
TOP TIPS FOR WASHING YOUR PROTECTORS
- Separate your laundry and wash similar colours and fabrics together.
- Don’t over fill your washing machine or tumble dryer. Give them space to do their job.
- Use a good quality laundry detergent which works well at lower temperatures. It's more environmentally friendly.
- Different fabrics dry at different speeds. We suggest tumble drying similar fabrics together.
- Make sure your protector is fully dry before putting it on your bed or in a cupboard.
- Fabric softener can ‘clog up’ all that lovely soft cotton in your protector so is not needed.
- Should you wash a new protector?
- Can you put a mattress protector in the tumble dryer?
- How to dry your protector
- Do I need to iron my protector?
SHOULD YOU WASH A NEW PROTECTOR?
We recommend washing a new protector before you use it for the first time. Here's why:
- CHEMICALS - Unlike scooms, some brands use chemicals in their manufacturing process. A wash can help remove them. All scooms protectors are OEKO-TEX certificate free from harmful chemicals.
- SIZE – Many mattress protectors are made to be slightly oversized to allow for natural shrinkage during a first wash. After an initial or couple of washes they should fit perfectly.
CAN YOU PUT A MATTRESS PROTECTOR IN THE TUMBLE DRYER?
Always check the care label on your protector to confirm the washing and drying instructions. If you have a waterproof mattress protector or one that is made with plastics these may not be suitable for tumble drying. scooms cotton mattress protectors are suitable for tumble drying.
HOW TO DRY A COTTON MATTRESS PROTECTOR
The best way to dry your cotton protectors so that they are super soft is in a tumble dryer. Check the temperature settings on the care label. Use Wool Dryer Balls to reduce your tumble drying time and to add a little extra softness without using chemical softeners like dryer sheets. They can also be line dried.
DO I NEED TO IRON MY MATTRESS PROTECTOR?
No, you should not iron a mattress protector. Ironing may squash or damage the filling or skirt of your protector.
See our Guide to mattress protectors